Saturday, December 22, 2012

My life with Flickr... Now free (for three months)!



Years ago, I first started my first flirtations with what was to evolve into this monster called "social media"; at that point, there was no Facebook, no Instagram, no Twitter. I would upload my digital pictures to Flickr, basically a photo-sharing site with various social aspects to it, including public sharing, comments, and groups to join. It was easy and fun, and I enjoyed sharing my daily life in digital pics with friends, and occasionally strangers.

I enjoyed it enough to eventually pay for the "Pro" subscription fee- around $25 a year, which allowed me to upload and display more of my images. A short time after that, Flickr was acquired by Yahoo!, and though there was a little concern among loyal Flickr users about the cool independent site turning into a corporate zombie, I continued paying for my annual subscription. Those concerns materialized with the introduction of the iPhone in 2007, and the onset of apps soon after. Though there were improvements like the option of uploading HD video and solid uptime, the site seemed to have become complacent.

As new, agile companies started introducing various photography and photo-sharing apps, Flickr was languishing. Flickr apps were slow in coming, and when they did arrive, they were clunky and seemed like an afterthought. As Instagram, Facebook, and other social sites were gaining traction, users left Flickr for faster, more nimble, and more active sharing sites. I eventually joined those fleeing, and although I continued to upload to Flickr, I let my Pro account lapse; Instagram and Facebook taking it's place.

Fast forward to 2012, when Yahoo! brings on a new CEO, who has visions of revitalizing Flickr; and in December, the controversial blunder of Instagram's change in it's Terms Of Service. Flickr, seeing a chance to snag unhappy Instagram users, moves quickly and offers users both new and existing, a three month subscription for free. For me, this is definitely a bonus, and I'll definitely be taking another look at Flickr again. Since I had never cancelled my account, I still have 8 years of pictures stored with them, and hopefully, I'll continue to use them. If you don't already have an account, check them out!

No comments:

Post a Comment